New Tires - suggestions

Satyamenon

New Tires - suggestions

Postby Satyamenon » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:00 pm

Well ladies n germs, it's that time of the year. AutoX season is going to start soon and I need tires for my car ('02 BMW 330i).

I ran Dunlop ZIIs on the Miata last year. Really liked them for the autox. Great grip even when cold, which is particularly nice for the 1st lap/run. Took very little time to heat up. I did find that the tire pressure differential between cold & hot/warm tires on the ZIIs was quite significant.

So while the ZIIs are an obvious choice for me, I am open to alternatives. Especially since there appear to be several good ones out there, in the same price ballpark.

Here are my current options in 235/45R17 (for a 7.5" rim)

Dunlop Direzza ZII
BF Goodrich Rivals (in 225s, no 235s)
Hankook RS3s
Bridgestone RE11As

I've also found some other options at TireRack like the Kumho Ecsta XS and Yokohama Advan Neova AD08. But their UTQG rating puts them out of contention for me. Need a minimum of 200 UTQG. I know this years regs allow for >140, but next year is expected to drop to >200 and I'd like to not have to change tires each season.

Any other non obvious choices I should be looking at? I saw that DiscountTire has BF Goodrich T/A KDWs. I thought those were discontinued.
Satya Menon
2016 JaxSolo Chair - Buccaneer Region SCCA

djsilver

Re: New Tires - suggestions

Postby djsilver » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:06 am

Your short list pretty much covers the best choices. It's normal for the tire pressure to go up quite a bit as the tires warm up. It's less if you run nitrogen in the tires, but it's a pita.

If you're also daily driving them the Tire Rack test say the Bridgestone rides nicer and does better in rain without giving up much on dry traction. The ZII's are the fastest in dry, a little bumpier and noisier than the others. The Rivals were a little behind. I didn't find a test with the RS-3's included. They are a fast tire but don't do as well when cool and don't last as long.
Don Johnson
Regional Executive
Buccaneer Region SCCA
re@buccaneerregion.com

mball

Re: New Tires - suggestions

Postby mball » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:56 am

I have Rivals on my IS300 (225/45 on a 17x7 wheel) and they seem to have the most grip on the first three runs. After that they seem to overheat and the grip drops off. After reading on several forums, it seems that Rivals work better on lighter cars. Heavier cars seem to do better on the Dunlops or Hankooks which can tolerate heat better.

Return to “Solo”